IT’S FREEZING! SHOULD I SELL MY HOUSE NOW OR WAIT UNTIL SPRING?
One of the most asked questions I get this time of year is, “Should I sell my home now when it’s freezing or should I wait until spring?” The thought of getting the house ready for showings during the cold season might seem like a daunting task. But guess what? Selling your home when the inventory is low may be a great strategy before the rest of the market gears up for the new selling season in the Omaha Metro Area! Heeran’s Home Team with Deeb Realty, sold 20 homes for sale between November and December and we have many that are pending closing right now.
REASONS TO SELL IN THE WINTER INSTEAD OF WAITING UNTIL SPRING
The Omaha housing market currently has a little over 5000 homes on the market right now and 33% of them are pending closing. When the weather is warmer, it’s not uncommon to see the inventory of homes for sale in the Omaha Metro to double.
When it’s cold outside, you’ll have nothing but highly qualified motivated buyers in the marketplace. When the weather is warm during spring, summer, and fall, people love going out and viewing houses-whether they are ready to buy or not. Some are just browsing. You’ll have a combination of buyers who are serious about purchasing mixed in with people who are just looking. The folks who are brave enough to get out there in the freezing cold weather are definitely serious buyers. So less traffic through your home, but every showing really counts. Buyers might be moving via a job relocation, needing to buy so that they don’t have to sign another lease, or have personal reasons to buy RIGHT NOW!
2. The “Other” sellers have taken their homes off the market. That’s right! Everything, especially real estate is highly affected by supply and demand. The sellers who tried and failed to sell last spring, summer, and early fall are tired and need a break. They are tired from getting the house cleaned for each showing, tired of people tramping through their houses with no contracts, and just plain tired of real estate. So they decided to waiting until next spring when they have the energy again. Winter sellers do not have to compete with as much competition.
HOW TO GET THE HOUSE READY FOR WINTER-TIME SELLING
1. Keep the walkways and driveways cleared of ice and snow-If people can’t easily get to the door, they will not want to go in.
2. Stage the home to make it warm and inviting-For example, place a cozy throw over a chair and turn the fireplace on. Make sure you raise the thermostat up. If the buyers’ teeth are chattering while touring the home, it’s not a good thing.
3. Try to encourage showings during daylight hours- It gets too dark, too fast. Make sure you have lighting, especially outside lighting on so that buyers can get a good look.
4. Nice aroma never hurts- The smell of warm cookies or cinnamon rolls bring nothing but good memories this time of year.
5. Place a “Thank You For Removing Your Shoes” sign on your door. Buyers and buyer’s agents should use common sense to do this anyways, but they don’t always do that. Heeran’s Home Team will place a sign on the door for you.
6. Spring, summer, fall, or winter, utilize other common sense rules to get the house ready for showings – For example, no smoking inside the house, de-clutter, put away personalized photos, clean the home, kennel pets during showings, remove pet odor smell, and please have the house vacant during showings. Buyers are not comfortable with sellers staring them down while they are trying to tour the home.
By Heeran Workman, MBA
Real Estate Agent
Real Estate Agent
Phone: (402) 707-7878